- December 12, 2021
- Posted by: Robert Brown
- Category: Investing
I am not an agent or connected to this entity. The information provided below is independent as based on my research and experience. Whilst I have taken steps to ensure the accuracy of the information presented here, there can be no guarantee that it will remain accurate.
Fund’s target client: “Late start-ups” or “early to mid stage” companies.
Sector focus: Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs) in various sectors with a focus on IT/telecommunications, Healthcare and Consumer Goods.
Amounts provided: EUR 250,000 to EUR 3m.
Funding type: Venture capital (Means, rather than providing a loan, the fund takes a % of shares in the target company)
- Potential to be a top player in its field;
- Profitable in a sizeable/growing market over 5-7 years (exit period for fund);
- Skilled and committed entrepreneurs backed by strong management;
- comply with ethical norms, have a good environmental policy and labor conditions;
- Will allow board seat for the fund as well as their involvement in management.
Search online for the fund information or call Tel: +254 (0)20 2019374
Who is behind the fund?
Private investors and development finance institutions based primarily in Europe. The fund is managed by TBL Invest LTD, based in Nairobi and has a representative in Uganda.
What is the application process like?
1. Submit business plan.Ensure it meets their key criteria;
2. Introductory meeting(s). If the fund likes the plan, the investor will meet the fund team;
3. Term sheet. A Document spelling out the basic terms and conditions; and
4. Due diligence.This means the fund “verifies” the information presented in the plan.
What are my view/tips for success in accessing the capital?
1. Team:Venture capital funds like TBL back “late start-ups” with a track record. Their key indicator is a good team with solid experience. If you have no internal capacity, have a professional join you.
2. Disruptive strategy. They are looking for a business that can quickly become number 1 or 2 in their respective field. It means having a strategy to directly take on existing market leaders. The plan needs to clearly show how this will be achieved.
3. Ethical model. Some of the fund’s key backers are based in the Netherlands and this is the norm. Your plan should reflect these principles.
Whilst I provide the above tips, you should be aware that some basic key information applies to all applications. This includes aspects like the plan including an executive summary, containing no errors, being in an easy to read format and the like.
Otherwise, best of luck.